The History of Christianity in Nauru
The history of Christianity in Nauru dates back to the late 19th century when European missionaries arrived on the island. Nauru was originally inhabited by the Nauruan people, who had their own traditional religion and culture.
In 1888, German missionaries from the Protestant Church arrived on the island and began to spread Christianity among the local population. The missionaries set up schools and churches and worked to convert the Nauruans to Christianity. In 1899, a Catholic mission was established on the island, which also worked to convert the local population.
World War 2
During the Japanese occupation of Nauru in World War II, the Japanese authorities banned Christianity and forced the Nauruans to practice Shintoism. After the war, Christianity was once again allowed on the island, and the Protestant and Catholic churches resumed their missionary work.
Today, the majority of Nauruans are Christian, with approximately two-thirds being Protestant and one-third Catholic. The largest Protestant denomination is the Nauru Congregational Church, which was established in 1948 and has a significant influence on the social and cultural life of the island. The Catholic Church also has a strong presence on the island and runs a number of schools and social programs.